The mission of Burpee Museum of Natural History is to inspire all people to engage in a lifetime of learning about the natural world.
Burpee Museum of Natural History was begin as a Works Progress Administration project. The WPA was set up by the federal government to help create jobs during the depression of the '30's. The Museum was established in 1941 and opened to the public on May 24, 1942. The current complex is made up of three buildings—the Solem Wing, the Manny Mansion, and the Barnes Mansion.