The mission of Court Theatre is to create innovative productions of classic plays that are thought provoking, character-driven and thematically enduring. Through main stage productions, audience enrichment programs and collaborations with the University of Chicago, we re-examine, re-envision and renew classic texts that pose enduring and provocative questions that define the human experience.
Court Theatre’s vision is to create the Center for Classic Theatre at the University of Chicago. Dedicated to the creation and curation of large-scale interdisciplinary theatrical experiences, the Center will:
- Inspire, educate, and entertain audiences both on and off the stage.
- Attract and feature artists of extraordinary talent.
- Add new adaptations and translations of classic works to the canon.
- Collaborate directly with University of Chicago scholars and students.
- Connect Court Theatre to individuals throughout Chicagoland and especially to our community on Chicago’s South Side.
As a professional theatre-in-residence at the University of Chicago, Court is uniquely positioned to be a leader in the successful marriage of artistic practice and academic inquiry; by integrating the making of art with the creation of knowledge, Court will mount ambitious theatrical events unlike any other theatre in the country. The Center for Classic Theatre represents the realization of this extraordinary potential and will propel Court Theatre to a position of national preeminence.