In 1957, a small crop of pines were planted by Frank and Marge Evans. As the trees grew to maturity, neighbors and friends of the Evans family began knocking on their door to purchase trees for Christmas. Inspired by their friends' requests and faced with the challenge of putting four sons through college, Frank and Marge decided to try to turn their small farm into a public Christmas tree farm.
One planting led to another, and in 1965, Frank formed Four E's Trees (for the four Evans boys he hoped to help put through college). He gave all the company stock to Larry, Ron, Don, and Steve, who helped manage, shear, plant, and sell the trees. All four boys attended college, thanks in part to the success of the family farm, and in 1991, Ron returned to 4 E's Trees to assume the role of president.