In Jersey County Historical Society, the "Red House" stood majestically for years to serve as a home, tavern, and a place for travelers to rest their weary bodies after miles of travel in a wagon, cart, stage coach, horseback or by foot. Construction of the "Red House' began about 1826 and was completed by 1827. In the year of 1834 local settlers decided to split away from Greene County and form a new smaller county. Many large counties were undergoing change a that time to cut down the hardship of travel to register and record legal documents at the County Seat. By forming smaller county areas new settlers wouldn't have such a hard time registering legal papers and would be more apt to do so. This would help eliminate a new person infringing on an established persons' property and land rights.