Peoria Zoo, a Peoria Park District Facility. Peoria Zoo's mission is to Create connections that inspire an appreciation for the natural world.
In 1800, Glen Oak Zoo had it's beginnings in the late 1800's when a herd of elk was donated
to the Peoria Park District. Over the next fifty years, the "zoo" moved to several locations,
eventually near the lagoon in Glen Oak Park. In order to develop a more formal collection,
advice was sought from Marlin Perkins, Director of the St. Louis Zoo and later star of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, and local architect Cletis Foley. The current Glen Oak Zoo exhibits building opened in 1955.
In 1970, The Zoo took on a more professional appearance, emphasizing education, conservation and recreationFriends of Glen Oak Zoo was formed and collaborated with the Peoria Park District to offer new animals and exhibits.In 1997, The Peoria Zoological Society was formed to lead the effort for the new Zoo. Torre Design Consortium was hired and after significant community involvement, a Master Plan was completed and adopted.In 2002, The Peoria Park District and the Peoria Zoological Society signed an agreement regarding the expansion of the Zoo and fundraising efforts began.
Create connections that inspire an appreciation for the natural world.
The Peoria Zoo will be recognized as a leader in raising public awareness and commitment
Peoria Zoo is not affiliated with AmericanTowns Media